Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Knot Caslon


Where do type designers get their inspiration? Perhaps the answer can be found in the hidden hieroglyphics of the trees surrounding my office, where letterforms can be found in the remnants of old branches and peeling bark. I think as designers, it is somehow part of our inner being to be acutely aware of everything visual that surrounds us each day. Color. Texture. Even patterns in nature. To that end, I find myself continuing to stockpile mental snapshots that have formed a massive data base that I draw on for different projects. So it makes one wonder if William Caslon, in 1725, during a walk to his London type foundry, was inspired by a similar tree to design one of the classic fonts of our time. And yes, thanks to Emigre, there now is a font named Not Caslon!

No comments: